Saturday, November 21, 2009

Time Goes By


It's this time of year when I begin to reflect on the past year and the year to come. It continues to amaze me that each year seems to go by faster and faster than the previous. Yet I am finally at a point that I actually want more time. I want to stop Father Time from marching straight across our lives. He doesn't seem to be aware that I am finally beginning to enjoy my life, and therefore I would greatly appreciate more time for all of the good, thank you very much! How beautiful is that - I feel so blessed, regardless of the craziness surrounding me, that I want more time to enjoy these blessings. I want to take that hour to sit and watch my children explore this world. I want to stay awake later just to watch them sleep and soak up the deep peace found there. How about a few more minutes to savor the delectable deliciousness that nourishes my body, or even a few minutes to actually prepare that delectable deliciousness, rather than pour it from a bag to our plates! I'll even take a few more seconds so I can elaborate on that thought in my mind that truly deserves further exploration.

I used to despise time. I didn't want more time to dwell in my disaster. I wanted the clock to speed up so that I could move on to the next event that would consume my thoughts in order to stay far away from those thoughts. Time was not on my side. Time after time, life went by, and I missed so much of it. I didn't cherish the moments for the gifts they were.

But I now find myself to be so amazingly blessed that I am in awe of time. I revel in the wonder of each moment that creates each day. And the awesome opportunity I have to be fully present in each of those moments. As much as I want time to slow or stop, I am slowly learning to respect the passing minutes for the gems they are. Go ahead Father Time - I am fully blessed with every second you give me. So as I prepare to give thanks this week to my Creator, to truly submerse myself in the celebration of His Son's life over the next month, I look back and know that next year will be better yet. There is so much more to come. What a blessing time is and what a blessing to realize how blessed I am by time.

"To me every hour of the light and dark is a miracle, every cubic inch of space is a miracle" - Walt Whitman

No comments:

Post a Comment